This Tabbouleh Soup with Lentils and Bulgur is healthy and delicious. All the ingredients of a great tabbouleh and lentils turned into a hearty, satisfying soup.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup fine or medium bulgur
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (about 15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the lentils, bulgur and water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover with a lid. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. If the soup appears to be getting to thick add more water to thin to desired consistency.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, half the parsley, and half the mint. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.1
- Stir in the remaining parsley and mint and the lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, pepper and lemon juice, if required.
4 SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 PointsPlus (Old plan)