This recipe is such a good dish to make if you’re craving pizza but don’t want to splurge on a carb heavy pie. It has all the same wonderful flavors, but it’s packed with beefy protein (that you can make ahead!) so it’s super satisfying.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 Per
- 1 lb lean ground beef.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning.
- sea salt and pepper to taste about 1/4 teaspoon each.
- 1 (14.5 oz.) jar diced tomatoes with juice.
- 1 cup marinara sauce.
- 3 large bell peppers, any color, sliced in half, seeds and membraines removed.
- nitrate free pepperoni, thinly sliced.
- 1/4 cup black pitted olives, sliced.
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees .
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in ground meat, garlic, and cook while crumbling with a wooden spoon until no longer pink, about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain excess grease.
- Season with Italian seasoning, sea salt and pepper, then stir in the diced tomatoes.
- Continue to simmer on medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the bottom of the casserole dish and spread with a silicone spatula.
- Arrange the peppers, cut side up as shown, and evenly spoon in the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and arrange pepperoni slices and olives on top.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or so until peppers are tender-crisp and cheese is nice and melty.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired.Enjoy!