This easy vegan chocolate lava cake recipe is foolproof, simple, and it will be ready in less than one hour. These vegan molten lava cakes for two are the perfect dessert for stay at home a weeknight.
Chocolate Ganache :
- 2 oz dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream
Cake Batter :
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso
- Pinch of salt, about 1/16 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup vegan buttermilk, ½ cup almond milk mixed with ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the ganache center:
- Melt the dark chocolate chips and the coconut cream together in a medium-sized bowl. To do this, microwave on high for 45 seconds, stopping halfway to stir the mixture.
- Once melted, stir them together until the mixture is uniform, and freeze for 30 minutes.
To make the cake batter:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prep your ramekins by placing them on a baking tray. Grease them with cooking spray.
- Make the vegan buttermilk by combining the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to curdle.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar, instant coffee, and baking powder.
- Maker sure no large lumps are in the mixture.
- Make a well in the center. Pour in the vegan buttermilk, melted vegan butter, and vanilla.
- Stir until just combined. Don’t overmix, doing so will result in a less tender cake. The batter should be thick yet pourable.
- Pour the batter into the bottom of the ramekins so they are ¼ of the way full.
- Remove the chocolate ganache from the freezer. It should be set up now. Scoop 1 1/2 tbsp of the ganache and place on top of the batter in each ramekin.
- Pour the remaining batter on top, so the ganache is completely covered and the ramekins are ¾ of the way full.
- Bake the cakes for 18 minutes. They should be firm around the edges yet slightly jiggly near the center.
- Remove them from the oven, and let the ramekins cool on a wire rack for 2-3 minutes.
To Serve the Cake:
- Gently wiggle a knife around the edges of the cakes. Place a plate on the top of the ramekin and gently flip it upside down. Tap the bottom of the ramekin a few times to help the cake slide out. Be careful since the ramekins are still hot.
- Serve by dusting the tops with powdered sugar, or with a scoop of non-dairy ice cream and berries